Saturday 28 January 2012

Hunger Games. Hungar Games.

I just finished reading the Hunger Games trilogy and I do not have the familiar feeling that accompanies the ending of a series. Normally I am tormented with questions and unsure that I liked the ending, or that it truly ended at all.

With this trilogy I feel completeness that I so rarely feel when I finish a book. It ended well and with closure that was not perfect but beautiful and profound. The idea of love being something that endures and is not a utopia but completely worth it. Katniss followed her instincts and sometimes there was collateral damage, and she understands that it will be with her forever and to survive she needed the one person that could wipe away her nightmares with a touch. Because that collateral damage could consume her, could be her end.

It reminds me of what I will do if/when I have children and how I will relate to them when they seem to question society or decide to think for themselves. How will I explain my past and experience without telling them how to think. I want independent thinkers in my family, but how I will feel when they do not think as I do. (seems funny, but true.)

I loved these books, they kept me reading, I was late for work, completely consumed and am very glad that they are over, so that I can get back to life. But it is sad what it reveals about society. Coming into an election it makes me question what politicians' true motives might be, is it power or is it a new idea that they think they can be successful with for the better of the society. (I am rambling, I am sorry)

Hunger Games was set in a society that was very advanced, but yet very primitive in its control. It is very true that society does not really change, peoples' memories are short. We repeat the same mistakes over and over again. Our struggles are not new, they have been around for centuries. People trying to live beyond their means and therefore sending a ripple throughout society that affects the people who cannot afford it (the ones who did not bring it about in the first place.)

It can create some cynicism. It has created some cynicism.

No comments:

Post a Comment