Wednesday 27 August 2014

Start Something That Matters




Many of you know that I am in a place in my life right now where I do not know what I should be doing. Some have said its a crossroads but I almost feel like it is a dead end.

I have been desiring a job that I love. And I do not know exactly what that is. I feel as though I want to do something that makes a difference or is in some way fulfilling while still making some money because going to university did not pay for it self, ya know what I'm saying.

I am currently teaching in a different setting, which many people said I should do before I threw the baby out with the bath water. It has been a very different experience. I have far less kids, the administration is truly there to help me and not to harass me,  the curriculum is spelled out for me. I am not stressed out. It has been a beautiful transition. But I am really feeling like teaching is not for me. So still in the same place I was in before.

A few months ago I put a bunch of books into piles that I did not need anymore. One of them was the book by Blake Mycoskie, the man who started the TOMS shoes company. (clarification, I had two of these books). While I was looking through my stack of books I decided to actually look more into this one called Start Something That Matters. I didn't read it initially because I thought it was merely a book about his journey, which I am not sure why I thought that was boring, but okay previous self. It has been one of those timing things. I received these books when I bought TOMS seriously years ago. And now I am actually reading it and it is exactly what I am needing right now.
If you want to buy the book you can do it my clicking on the link above.



It has challenged me in the idea that all you need is an idea, a spark and some great people around you to make it happen. He asked a few questions that really made me think. Because my issue isn't that I have this idea and I cannot get it off the ground. My issue is that I do not even have an idea. I have interests, hobbies, passions and I am not sure how they morph together into something that means something.

Here are the questions if you are not sure what your passions are-

1. If you did not have to worry about money, what would you do with your time?

2. What kind of work would you want to do?

3. What cause would you serve?



1- I feel as though I would spend my time volunteering, truly- not just to sound pompous. I would love to go to different countries, traveling, being submersed in a culture and truly trying to understand the differences between us.

2. I would be doing work where I am truly helping people, making an impact. Interning at different non-profits.

3- This one is difficult, I mean I really, truly would be doing this for the benefit of Christ. And I can only do great things with his strength and help. I feel as though I do not have a certain cause yet and maybe this is my issue. I haven't found my cause yet.

So these questions are questions that I am going to be mulling over for sometime and may change or become more specific. I have a year of my teaching job. So I have time to figure things out and then move forward with more direction, hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment