Wednesday 13 August 2014

One last hurrah! Then school begins!

So I went on one last hurrah before school starts. My mother and I, because we know where I live, went into Chicago. We planned it all on Tuesday, the day we left, because we are so decisive and pre planned. Not at all.

We went on Booking.com to find a hotel to stay at that was reasonably priced. We found one for $132 taxes not included. Inn at Lincoln Park. And then I used the best app to find tickets to sporting events Gametime. My friend used this when we were in Boston and it was terrific. It shows you the view from the seats and the tickets go right to your phone, no printer needed. This is very nice for purchasing tickets the day of or practically at the gate, like we did in Boston. They are also very reasonably priced.

Photo: Love a good Cubs game. #chicagocubs

These were our seats. They were pretty good! And the Cubs won. That is a big deal.

The hotel was very cute. It was very old but updated while still keeping its character. The rooms with the two double beds had two bathrooms they were so cute. I could tell that back in the day they used to be two very small rooms that they renovated into one room and kept the two bathrooms. I loved the history of it all.

I also wanted to do something that was not so much touristy. So taking a note from my Friend who finds the greatest little shops wherever we go, I took to Yelp. This app has been my favorite go to where ever I am to find good places to eat or unique, quaint, local shops.

The first place we ate at was a Mediterranean/ Turkish restaurant called Troy. It was delicious. We ordered Falafel, you gotta a Turkish joint, spanakopita, and a kebab platter. The best part of the meal was the bread and lentil ezme, so good.

Then, with the help of Yelp, we headed to a few little shops. The first one was surprisingly right across the street, Inkling
 

This store was everything that I love in these unique, local hole in the walls. I picked up a dainty necklace with a compass on it. Everything was very reasonably priced. That is one of my complaints with these shops is that they are too expensive, but this one was perfectly priced.

Then we went into Foursided which was kind of on accident. On Yelp it says it does custom framing and I am not in the market for that right now, but as we walked by they had cards and stationary, and small trinkets. I had to go in.
Side note, while in Boston we went to a shop called Magpie, I bought many things there and made two trips, but what really hooked me was their mystery bags. You spend five dollars and you get five random cards. I could have bought the entire stash.
Well Foursided had these mystery bags but they did not just have cards they also had flashcards, mini notebooks, candy and other miscellaneous items. It is like Christmas morning when you get these bags and I love that feeling, Its dangerous that feeling because I could spend a lot of money. But they are only $5!

The last cutesy shop I went into, for about 10 minutes on the way to the cub game and then a bit longer the next day, was called Twosided. They claim to be the red-headed step sister of Foursided.
They had the grab bags too. They also had mystery boxes but those were $15 and I am too cheap for that. But I bought 4 of the grab bags so not sure what that says. I have opened one of them and I got some magnets which are 11 dollars by themselves. There was a card, a stone shaped like a heart, 2 jolly ranchers, and an odd picture. But that is what you get.

Oh also I changed my hair I had to get rid of the purple because I am a teacher and a semi-professional and they do not usually have purple hair. I also not like my kids to think that I am hip at all ha. So I did something a bit different. No I am not cross eyed I just do not know where to look when I take a picture apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment