Tuesday 2 September 2014

What Egress means to me.

Photo courtesy of koffeinszerelem
 
I thought it was time to explain the title of my blog. So here it goes.

I first encountered this word when I was teaching a book called City of Ember to a class of grade 6 students while I was student teaching. I really liked the word. I was simply drawn to it, I cannot explain it. I am not sure what it was.

As I thought about it more and more I found that it had several meanings to me. Here is number 1.

The idea of Egress, the act of exiting. It is not an exit, a noun, a thing that you search for. It is a verb, it is the movement of exiting, leaving. The exit may not be important but how you are going to get through it is. Simply put we are not going to be on this Earth forever. We will leave it, so many of us focus on how it will happen. Will I die of old age, in a fire, a car accident, etc. But I think what is more important than the instant you leave, is the entire process before it. How will you exit, how will you live you life while you are moving toward the exit. Will you merely by time until the time comes or will you live it to the fullest extent a life can be lived. (you may be thinking, wow you're stretching it, but really am I, AM I? sorry I get passionate)

Another meaning that Egress has to me is that in life you should be constantly progressing, moving forward, exiting your old life repeatedly so that you can become the person you were meant to be. If you did not continue to improve yourself you will be living at home with your mother, oh wait I am doing that. HA. Completely kidding. Because if you have read even a sentence in this blog, well maybe not the post about bugs on the windshield, you would see that I am constantly contemplating life, maybe too much, but that is up for discussion.

I would rather be someone who thinks too much than not at all.

So that is Egress to me. What is Egress to you? Think about it and message me to tell me what Egress is to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment